If you’re a hip hop fan then Kendrick Lamar likely has renewed your hope that we’re approaching a second Golden Era. Forget that the LA based rapper was only ten when Biggie Small’s was murdered (arguably the end of the era). Since blasting on the scene with his mixtape O(verly) D(edicated), Lamar has quickly ascended as one the most promising rappers touring with Drake, Tech N9ne, and crowned the “New King of the West Coast” by Snoop Dogg, Dre, and The Game. His outer-space buttery flow, witty punchlines, and introspective lyrics are weirdly fresh, drawing comparisons to the Dungeon Crew, Q-Tip, and Digable Planets.
Recently included by XXL in the “Freshman Class of 2012,” Lamar is now touring on The Monster Outbreak Tour stopping in San Francisco at The Regency Ballroom on Tuesday (March 27th). And guess what–we’re giving away two pair of tickets. To win: comment on our Facebook photo here telling us why you should go. The comment which receives the most likes will win. We’ll announce the winner tomorrow at 10:30AM with an added surprise.
Just to wet your palette, we’ve compiled five lines that makes Kendrick Lamar spicier than the rest.
1. From “Rigamortis”: I’m out the orbit, you an orphan and a hairdresser combined /I’m on the toilet when I rhyme if you the shit then I decline
2. From “Hii Power”: Get off that slave ship, build your own pyramids, write your own hieroglyphs
3. From “Cartoon and Cereal”: Things we will never learn soon/ In the era where we wanna earn soon/ That’s an error; you can smell it in the air and everybody doomed
4. From “Barbed Wire”: Life’s a bitch, don’t hit women so I bit her / I struck enough pain let her know I wasn’t playin’ /I was so sincere like Nas first name
5. From “Turn Me Up”: Pac told me fuck the world, I’m bout to cum now