Coachella’s 2012 lineup has been announced on its Facebook page. Some thoughts:
- Radiohead is confirmed after heavy speculation, but No Doubt was a swing and a miss as a headliners guess.
- The Black Keys will headline Fridays, and Dr. Dre / Snoop Dogg are the totally surprising – and totally awesome – headliners on Sunday.
- Nice to see our friends in Beats Antique make an appearance.
- The Weeknd could well play his first-ever U.S. show at Coachella. Fellow sinister R&B crooner Frank Ocean experienced similar breakout success in 2011 and just played his first show in November.
- At The Drive-In indeed re-unitied with Coachella in mind. Refused also come off an 11-year hiatus for their appearance, and fIREHOSE hasn’t played since 1994.
- Jeff Mangum seems to have gotten over his decade-long reclusive phase for the time being, with his 2012 tour preceding his appearance on this bill. Expect this to be the most emotionally-charged set of the festival.
- KROQ lists all the fake lineup posters for 2012, if you want to compare notes and giggle at far-reaching predictions (and a lot of questionable graphic design choices).
- The Hives’ appearance means they have likely completed their fifth album (first since 2007) after taking to the studio in November 2011.
- The Buzzcocks are playing their first two albums – Another Music In A Different Kitchen and Love Bites - on their current tour and may continue that theme at Coachella.
What else intrigues you about the Coachella lineup, 2012 edition?